Saturday, April 25, 2009

What About Those Darn Deer? Cute or Kill 'em?



I've heard a lot about the deer in the neighborhood - some like to watch the graceful creatures and some want to shot them.  It seems to be a battle between gardens and their wild appetites.  I don't know if it will help at all but I did find a website for gardening around the issue.  Click on this link to find out about deer gardens in Central Texas.  It might help?

I was advised that the deer will follow the path of least resistance - if you have a fence and your neighbor has a yummy garden with no fence, the deer usually will not take the trouble of jumping into your yard.  Trying sometimes expensive and extreme measures don't always work either - one neighbor told me he once invested in Panther Pee, but it just washed off with the first rain.  Another product out there, Deer Out, claims that it won't wash off, but I've never known anyone to use it.    Others have suggested saving hair clippings or getting them from the local salons and scattering them around the edge of the areas you don't want the deer to visit.  I have no idea if this works but it sounds creepy to me.  Check out this site from  garden web and read about other things people have tried - what worked and what didn't.   It was an interesting, and often funny, read.  

2 comments:

Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com said...

There are time-tested recipes for relief.

See



http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/suburban-stalkers/

Mike Licht

NancyThornton said...

Oh Dear!